Friday 4 December 2015

Book Development

 Started digitising things! I began with really simple shapes and then built it up. I also started with this green colour palette but I wasn't feeling it - It looked muddy instead of serene and calm like how I've been imagining it in my head. So I decided to change the colour and used blues and purples as the main colours, inspired by one of Junyi's work. I think this works much better and I really like how it has turned out! I'm having real fun playing with shapes, textures and lighting! I'm excited now!



I also made sure to crop/resize the image to the right dimensions for the blurb book custom printing - so I won't have to worry about it at the last minute. It took me 2.5 hours to complete this illustration, 1 hour of it was spent figuring out the colours and trying out textures and techniques - now that I know how I want my illustrations to look, I'll be able to paint faster - which is great news because I think I'll be able to finish it before January! which leaves enough time for me to get it printed professionally, and hopefully arrive in time too!


I recently purchased Griz and Norm's book and I've learnt from it that the value of your image is a really important thing. If your value reads, then your image will read, no matter how crazy your colours are. So I've also made sure that my value reads well before deciding that I'm finished with my illustration.


Slight change of plan with the map inside pages - the book that I've chosen from the blurb website doesn't have the option to print on the inside of the covers. So instead of having the double page spread of the map at the start, I will have half of it and at the back of the book I will have the other half. I don't think this is too much of a problem to be honest as its purpose is mostly to decorate. So I'm quite fine having it this way for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment