Tuesday 22 September 2015

CoP3 Proposal Feedback

I thought I would be getting this feedback around end of June time before I had anything planned so that I could get on with it earlier on in the holidays. But that was not the case, which explains for the lack of research up to this point since I was abroad and had no access to resources that I needed to start this. So now I'm having to do a little bit of a catch up. Although it looks as though I'm very behind with a blog that appears to be a little bit bare, I have done a little bit of reading (just not blogged about it). Just bare with me.. everything will be alright..

Feedback on proposal:

This direction seems fine, Aggie. This is an important and interesting area of study and would relate well to your practice. It’s suitably defined / not too broad. The problems you identify are workable and you will have time to respond to CoP effectively, despite these other commitments. Philip Pullman makes very incisive and interesting comment on fairy tales – have a look at his version of Grimm’s Tales for Young and Old (Penguin, 2013). Find some more key texts and ensure that all these are reliably sourced – search the college library journal database for published essays and articles. Reading books about child psychology generally may be too broad – stay within the identified research area which investigates the values / significance of the fairy tale for children / why the fairy tale remains an important form. There is rich potential to explore historical traditions of Illustration within fairy tales and compare them with contemporary examples – are we more risk averse to ‘scaring’ children now? What impact might this have on children today?

The key theoretical text on this matter (despite being recently exposed as plagiarized is Bruno Bettelheim’s ‘The Uses of Enchantment’, which I see you have already sourced. If you run a search on Fairy Tales and Ideology in Google Scholar, Academia.edu, and www.jstor.org, there is a wealth of material that pops up which should be of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment