Wednesday 9 October 2013

Designs that have influenced and inspired me

Above is the work of Brittney Lee, a designer that I have always looked up to. 'Just Can't Wait' was produced for Disney Fine Art Galleries and is made entirely of coloured card that was cut and glued by hand. The brief was to create her own artistic interpretation of her favourite moment from a Disney film. Being a huge fan of Disney and Lion King myself, seeing this piece just made me stop in my tracks and sit back in awe. Her style is simply captivating! The colours and curves she uses are so vivid and sharp and I like that the layering of card creates depth to her work. Not only does this show she has a great eye for detail and colour, it also proves that she has a lot of patience! (I have done a bit of paper quilling before and have decided that it is not as easy as it looks and it is very time consuming.)

'Le Bonheur prisonnier', a French children's book by Jean-Francois Chabas showcases illustrator David Sala's exquisite paintings. I am in love with the hypnotic combination of colour and pattern that he skilfully combined to produce images that are compelling. His mark making is truly an irresistible feast for the eyes. 

This is the Tangled concept art by Claire Keane for the character Rapunzel. I love how this was done digitally but looks like a traditional piece because of her choice of brushes and textures that mimic/imitate the look of natural and traditional medias.

Greg Abbott has created illustrations that have been used to decorate children's products and have been featured in the set designs of TV shows. The friendly and happy tone of voice of his work makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside. I am a big fan of his rendering, his colour palette and his use of brushwork to create texture and depth in his work.

I stumbled across Janet Browne's work when I was a Textiles student back in Sixth Form. The way that she makes pictures in the form of maps in hand dyed cotton and stitch I think, makes a more interesting piece than just a drawing or painting on paper or canvas. Her designs are influenced by the naive and amateur style of folk art which I absolutely adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment